Monday, April 18, 2011

Strings

I love strings. Strings, for those of you who don't know, are the cut offs (1"-2.5" in my stash) after straightening your fabric for your "real" cuts. I always cut mine a bit larger to make "strings". They are normally what would be thrown away, but hey, they are care free fabric, where you make "new" fabric, and who cares what it looks like. This is one string quilt I made:
I am working on another, which I will post when it is done. Strings to me, even tho I love them, get overwhelming. As you can see, I have a ton of them. I had to separate them into lights and darks.

I bet this bucket has 4-5 queen quilts in it! Believe it. I have a few more project ideas running through my head. There are a ton of options out there, it will probably keep me up at night...and I can't even start talking about "crumbs". I save those, and can't wait to dig into those too!

2 comments:

  1. Bonnie Hunter's "Fair & Square" from her newest book, "Scraps & Shirttails II" would make a dent in those strings. Eventually I will make that one, it's my favorite in that book.

    To me, string quilting is just a big bonus. Fabric is so expensive and using up every little bit gives me a good feeling. Makes me feel very frugal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your string quilt. Very colorful and the bonus is that it is from leftover fabric. Strings are like making new fabric! It always amazes me how far the strings go!

    ReplyDelete